Elias Van Bunschooten Museum at a Glance
A Bit of Background
This house was built in 1787 as the home of the Reverend Elias Van Bunschooten, a Dutch Reformed Minister. He was a farmer, mill operator, and large land owner. The farm was part of a 1000 acre plantation. The Dutch Colonial house is post and beam construction. Out buildings include a Wagon House, Ice House and a Privy. The home was given to the Chinkchewunska Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution by Mr & Mrs Clifford Ramsey in 1971. The house and out buildings were listed on the National Register of Historic Sites and Places in 1974.
Elias Van Bunschooten Museum
Home of the NSDAR Chinkchewunska Chapter
NSDAR Chickchewunska Chapter
2019 -2022 Executive Board
Bottom Row Left to Right
Treasurer, Laura Franek Recording Secretary, Sara Demarest Corresponding Secretary, Lisaann Permunian Librarian, Kathy Weakland Curator, Jenise Sileo
Back Row Left to Right
Registrar, Janet Woudenberg Historian, Allyn Perry Regent, Ashley Zicarrdi 2nd Vice Regent & Asst. Treasurer, Betty Manzi Chaplain, Kathy Cook 1st Vice Regent, Carol Gonzalez
On November 11, 1902, twelve women of Sussex County gathered in Newton, to plan the formation of what would become Chinkchewunska Chapter. A charter from the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution was granted, and on January 12, 1903, the chapter was organized. The chapter name originates from a Native American word meaning “hilltop town” or “town on the side of a hill.” The organizing regent was Miss Frances A. McMurtry. At early chapter meetings, members read papers that they wrote about American heroes and battle campaigns of the Revolutionary War, the American flag, and patriotism. Members expressed great interest in community, state, and national affairs.
The crowning glory of Chinkchewunska Chapter is the museum we own. In 1971, Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Ramsey presented us with the deed to a Dutch colonial farmhouse, built in 1787 for the Reverend Elias Van Bunschooten, for whom our museum is named. We also own six acres of land containing a large barn and three historical outbuildings, a wagon house, Greek Revival privy, and ice house. Remaining true to its origins, the only changes made to the house in all these years are the additions of electric, plumbing, and heat. The home is listed on both the New Jersey and the National Registers of Historic Sites and Places.
Elias Van Bunschooten's Home
In 1971 the Van Bunschooten house, outbuildings, and six and a half acres were donated to the Chinkchewunska Chapter of the DAR by Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Ramsey. Soon after the acquisition, our Chapter began to restore, refurbish, and redecorate the DAR Van Bunschooten Museum. We made it our Chapter headquarters. The ten rooms are furnished in period antiques, many of which were donated by the original family, and used in the home. Items in the collection span a range from 1787 to 1860, and include: clothing, quilts and woven coverlets, furniture, oil paintings, cookware and china, wagons, and farm implements.
1787 Keeping Room
Our Chapter members devote countless hours maintaining, restoring, and preserving the museum and outbuildings including the privy, the carriage house, and the milk house. The library has over 700 volumes and is used for local historical and genealogical research.
The main house was originally constructed in 1787 for the Reverend Elias Van Bunschooten, who served the Dutch Reformed Church for 40 years. The Van Bunschooten Museum has remained true to its origins, despite four or five changes of ownership, and numerous tenants. Electricity, plumbing, and heat have been the only modern additions.
Wagon House with Carriage and Farm Displays
The museum is listed on the National Register of Historic Sites and Places. All the rooms are filled with period antiques (many belonging to the original family), and all rooms are open for view. The home is situated on six and a half acres of land, and includes several outbuildings including a wagon house (containing antique farm equipment and carriages), a Greek Revival privy, and an ice house with milk room.
Greek Revival Privy
The 232 year old DAR VanBenschooten Museum is located at 1097 Route 23 North, Wantage New Jersey. Our Museum will be open for tours on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month from 1:00pm - 4:00pm from May to October. For additional information about tours please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours of Operation
Come Visit us
2nd & 4th Sunday of the Month
May through October
1:00pm - 4:00pm